Skip to main content

Kids First!

My childhood home was always littered with posters screaming this phrase in vibrant colors, still leaning in a corner after the most recent bond election. Dad was a superintendent, and his philosophy was always, always "Kids First!" In planning, he put kids first. In finances, he put kids first. In teaching and coaching and mentoring, Dad put kids first. 

Because it is the right thing to do.

Now that Dad is retired and spends his sunny days putting fishing first, I take up the mantra myself and hope to live it daily and share it as he did. Yes, it took me a while to come to this conclusion. I always thought I was doing it, actually, but early on I needed to feel in control. I was young. I was scared. I knew classroom management gone awry could be the death of any actual learning. So I chose control. This meant that I scripted every moment of class and drove the bus forward no matter my riders. I structured my days down to the minute and sent students home with pounds of homework. We stuck to the set schedule with little interruption, and we barreled ahead, despite the teens I left at the last stop or the wrong stop or their original stop. I enjoyed my job on most days, and my kids seemed to mostly enjoy me. But I feel oh so guilty for the classes, semesters, and years I forgot to put those kids first. 

And then, things changed. Not sure exactly when it was or why. I just knew I needed to be different. I gave the kids some control, only a fraction at first, then slightly more. Now, they are the bus drivers in my room. They select their reading, their writing, their thinking. They plan their steps and their parameters. Sometimes it looks like complete chaos! Sometimes - just sometimes - it looks like learning.

I wish, though, that I could comfort those educators who are still gripping that steering wheel so firmly. I'd like to peel their white knuckles away, offering my hand for guidance instead. I watch them plan and plot, and I admire their focus and organization and drive. But what makes me sad is the part when their students are lost or bored or frustrated. Sadder yet is the teacher who is red-faced, fuming because the kids didn't do, read, or write.

"They are lazy!"
"They won't do anything!"
"They are so rude!"

Maybe they are. They can be. But sometimes, we put them in situations where what we get is their defense mechanisms in return for what we gave them. Maybe we performed the manageable tasks in class and then sent them home with the hard tasks to do on their own. And maybe that was the part when they really weren't lazy but needed a guide, a coach. I don't believe that our sports coaches assign their teams new plays to figure out at home when they aren't together or that they expect their teams to do only the easy drills together. In the classroom, we shouldn't do the same. At home, let them read and explore, practice and write. In class, work through the challenges and the new concepts. Approach as a team. Work cooperatively. Lead.

Yes, there will be challenges. And every class and semester and year will be different. Luckily, we are trained problem solvers! We are the sleuths, always finding the right solution for the current mystery. Each student is a mystery, an episode to watch and wonder --- and to solve. To solve, though, by guiding and mentoring and even giving some control. It doesn't mean that our lesson we love was a failure or that perfect unit is a flop. It means that we put our kids first and let them drive our classes, and that we create those lessons and units - and ultimately love and respect - together.

Kids First! Always.

Comments

  1. This is still one of my favorite blogs so far. My mission is that if you are writing these well then I am going to have to read all of them!!!!

    And probably comment on all of them because you know how much I love hearing my own voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy