Skip to main content

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off. 

What is it, you ask?

The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year.

It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever.

That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our death stares and cruel word darts. The classes we like. The teams we work with. The family who supports us. No one is immune.

So what do we do?

The answer is simple: 

Let's be nice by sending a card to people who do good things. Last year, I sent a thank you card each week during the all of month of May and the part of June we were in school. It was my Friday ritual, and I found myself looking forward to it! I spent the first part of my Friday conference period thinking about the awesome people around me and selecting one to focus on. Then, I filled a blank card with my thoughts and delivered. Sometimes I got a huge thank you in return. Sometimes I never saw the reaction. Regardless, I spent time smiling about someone awesome, and it fueled me.

Let's be nice by picking up a piece of trash in the hallway. There is always at least one piece someone dropped in their rush to beat the tardy bell. How many times do we typically walk past it? Why not just grab it and continue moving, depositing it on our way to our next destination? 

Let's be nice by smiling. At everyone. EVERYONE! In class, let's smile. Smile when students enter and when they turn in work. Smile when they wake up with a red mark on their foreheads from improperly opting to put their head on the desk rather than read. When we pass people in the hallway, let's smile rather than avoid eye contact like we are in the waiting room at the doctor's office. Smile at the aide who brings a pass for a student. Show those pearly whites to a custodial staff member and a security guard (even if he never smiles in return!). Let's just smile! It's much more fun than a grimace, and it feels fantastic!

Let's be nice by participating in the #tweetsofgratitude on Fridays. My friend Joanna Crawford does them weekly, and I love participating! Nothing like some public praise via the Twitters to raise the kindness factor. For our less techy friends, how about a post-it on a desk for a kid or peer? Better yet, stick that post-it on a surprise Starbucks or Diet Coke on the desk of a peer. That is sure to make someone's day!

I plan to do my best to be nice by doing these things in the final weeks of school. Think I'm gonna begin my summer reading list while I'm at it. And, I'll ask my students for recommendations - with a smile! It'll be fun!

Won't you join me?



Comments

  1. Dude, this blog is inspiring enough to make me try. And where did you get that weird picture of fingers. I want you to do that to your fingers one day, and I promise I will not be grouchy...at least for the rest of that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna Friend at it AGIAN!!! I can not remember the name of the acronym that you sent out about the dark days of September, October, and November but that was a major boost for me. With the start of the school year and the new marriage (to Ashley) I was struggling and you sent that funny acronym out and it made me sit back and smile instead of super stress out.

    The DUDE, BE NICE movement is a spoonful of the right medicine at the right time!!! My department is usually a little bit more eccentric but there is def-con level 3 going on with some people's blood pressure. For this rest of the week I am joining in the DUDE, BE NICE movement.

    Thank you for an awesome POST as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEVE YOU ARE BACK!!! WE MISSED YOU SO MUCH STEVE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the steve I'm looking for. Sorry Mr. Barb. #FindSteve

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th