Skip to main content

Proud to Work Here or The Beginning of Our Change Projects in Eng 2

It's teacher interviewing season here at school, and interviews bring their own sparkle and glitter or, sometimes, not. Last week I visited with a couple of outstanding candidates, one that particular sticks out. Never before has our panel been asked a question like this:

"In this last semester, what's one thing that's happened to you here at Hebron that's made you proud to work here?"

Hmmm. Thought provoking for sure! Luckily, my answer was immediate.

Just a day or two prior, I began a nine-week long activity with my sophomores. It began with the "What if...?" and "I wonder..." sentence stems. I introduced the topic of those ideas and musings that tumble around in our brains, often when we are on autopilot while mowing the lawn or brushing our teeth. Sometimes, these thoughts drift through when the lights are off and the covers pulled high and the body is finally still. I wonder how my relationship with my parents will change now that they are aging. Why do bad things like tornados happen to truly kind people? What would it be like to be a hummingbird? What if we could institute a school-wide reading break daily? I wonder how our kids will turn out as adults. 

My students wrote silently for several minutes, their pens scratching across lined paper, pausing, then resuming. Next, they marked one of their musings that they could write and discuss more about, and they marked a second one they thought they could do something about. After, they each picked only one idea and wrote it on a notecard. No names necessary. Just a thought.

I collected them and read them aloud. It was one of the most powerful moments I've ever experienced in a classroom. First period changed that day.

I share my first period class with an amazing co-teacher and sidekick, Mr. Steve Barb. He brings the energy; I bring the plan. I present the texts and skills; he supports all of us. He says he is the Robin to my Batman. I kinda think he's more of the Superman rather than simply a Robin. But I digress... Last week, as I read those notecard statements to our class, Mr. Barb and I were stunned. Floored. At one point, I had to stop reading to gulp down the massive lump in my throat. In minutes, he and I were both red eyed and runny nosed. These kids were amazing!

Their thoughts were powerful and brave.

I wonder what it's like to be smart and to have colleges want you.

I wonder what it's like to be pretty.

What if everyone could just be kind?

If I were a cat, would I be curious?

What if we all just loved ourselves?

What if I hadn't have woken up from the comma? Would my parents have been able to unplug me?

Should I come to school tomorrow?

Will I ever have a good relationship with my dad?

I like the light-hearted ones and the unique ones; they lightened the mood and shifted the class's focus when things got a little intense. Silently sitting in chairs, staring at me and glancing at each other, our students were serious. The red eyes spread to some of them and tiny tears rolled down a few cheeks. I think they were just as shocked as we were!

Their cards were so honest and real. Their ideas came from deep inside their minds and hearts. And, one thing we all found interesting was that Mr. Barb put in his wondering too, and no one could tell the adult idea from the student ideas. Discussion of this led here: we are all human. We all have similar feelings and concerns. And just because our students are teens doesn't mean they don't think big things or dream big dreams.

It was a revelation of a day! I couldn't be more proud of that class.

So, when the interviewee asked what I was most proud of in the recent semester, I could only think of first period and this lesson, and I found my voice climbing higher with excitement as I relayed the details to the candidate. I told her I couldn't wait to see where these kids go next. What do they know about their concerns and wonderings? How do they feel about those topics and issues? And what can they ultimately change about it all? This is where we are going - research, information, persuasion, passion. It should include all the parts a teacher could ask students to do: read, research, study, learn, explain, analyze, present, argue, share, compare, discuss, grow. And if this start is any indication as to where this class is headed, then I cannot even imagine what their finished products may look like! I bet they'll knock my socks off!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th