Skip to main content

Hamilton the Musical & One Awesome Team

It's Sunday evening, my usual writing time. It's a beautiful, rainy, graying day, and I'm snuggled in a comfy chair in a comfy sweater. The new wrinkle this day - I'm listening to Hamilton, and it's causing all sorts of flashes in my mind. You see, I made the mistake of admitting to my Academic Decathlon team that I'd not listened to the soundtrack start to finish... so they fixed that problem in the many hours we were trapped in a giant vehicle together last weekend at the state meet. I see my self turning into the hotel parking lot one more time as "Take a Break" plays. I hear all five of my riders singing at the top of their voices as "My Shot" plays. I laugh again as I remember them rapping the cabinet battles - edgy words and all - while watching my face! 

But most of all, I am again feeling the momma-like pride about all nine of those kids. It's sometimes hard to explain just how proud I am of them. Words just don't do it. And, as their coach, I'm not sure I tell them enough how absolutely amazing they are. I'm gonna try...

Brendan,
8400. 8400. I still can't believe a sophomore scored 8400! But, you are no ordinary sophomore. You are intelligent beyond your years and super witty. And even though I know I'll repeat 8400 to myself a multitude of times over in the coming months and years, I look forward to seeing just what else you can do! 

Jordan,
How did we get so lucky to have you find us in your move to Texas? If we were asked to create the perfect new addition to our team and school, I don't think we could have done better than you ourselves! You have so many fascinating, incredible stories, and you are the kindest spirit! 

Karina,
Junior year is the toughest; that's what they always say. And you've persevered! In addition to simply surviving, you've brought smiles and cows and gorgeous hair to our team! Somewhere in our chaos, you also found your confidence, and it is beautiful on you. Let's continue growing it. 


Emma,
I think we've all said to you that we wish we'd found you sooner, and it is absolutely true. You brought quiet strength and deep intellect to our team. Like Karina, you also found your confidence and inner voice on this Ac Dec journey, and it is equally beautiful on you! I love standing close enough to hear your stories and your brilliant quips, and I will miss you when you graduate.

Zac,
When Zuber brought you on board, I never knew I'd get a working mini fridge out of it! I also didn't realize at first just how much amazing - and often random - knowledge you carry everywhere with you. Thank you for using your knowledge with us and for all the laughs that came with it. I'll miss you when you graduate.

Brenda,
You are a strong, fierce, incredible person, and I'm thrilled you stuck with us this year! Thanks for keeping us in check when our nerdiness got a little out of hand. And thanks for being honest, particularly with your personal story. That takes guts, and you are absolutely fearless. I will miss you when you graduate.

Jasmine,
My hope and most sincere wish for you is that, through Ac Dec, you have realized your worth and your special gifts. You have so much to give - your words, your voice, your smile. I am thankful you shared it with us for as long as you did. Keep writing. Keep singing. Keep dreaming. I don't know if the world is ready for you, but it better get ready! Go and be brave. Submit to no one's unfit expectations. Achieve all that you can. And remember us when you are a famous author. Send your old teacher a signed copy, ok? I will miss you so much when you graduate.

Jasmine, Georgia, & Claire
(L-R)
Georgia,
Who will make smirky faces at us next year? Who will stand and dance sporadically? Who will tweet the perfect GIFs? Who will razz me about my phone and its photography skills? No one. No one will ever do these things like you. You have left your mark on Hebron Ac Dec, and it is a lasting one. You have also been a fierce competitor and leader, raising scores and motivating others and pumping us up. With sarcasm. Always sarcasm. And snark. And art genius. Be warned, Aggieland! Salty Neal is coming! I will miss you terribly when you graduate.

Claire,
I have never met a person like you, who has such an incredible capacity to learn and who loves it like you do. With it comes an immense loyalty to team and to friends and a relentless competitive spirit. It is as if Ac Dec was made for you! The most fascinating part has been watching your four year transformation, from a bit of an awkward, newborn giraffe into a regal, roaring lion. You did it all! And I am inexplicably proud of you! I know that you will rule the world one day, equipped with your endless intelligence and the Hamilton lyrics, and I can only be thankful to have been a part of the process. You've created your own Hebron legacy, and I will miss you dearly when you graduate.

Ok, ok. That's enough. Now that I've morphed into a puddle of tears and Kleenex, I guess I should halt the gushing and get back to folding laundry. 

On the off chance that you have some influence in a teen's life, will you, after reading this, also tell your teens how special they are? Even if some days they are not? [Note: this team fought with me for weeks about going to the Riverwalk in San Antonio vs going to an escape room. On those days, they were rather annoying, to be honest, and not so special. But, in the end, the escape room was super fun, and it's a memory with them that I'll always cherish.] Our teens need to hear it from us, their adults. And they need specifics.

Again, thank you, 2016-2017 Ac Dec! You are truly awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th