Skip to main content

Ac Dec is Family

It's Sunday. The wind is whipping around my house, howling and moaning and stirring our chimes into a noisy frenzy. The fireplace is crackling, and Maggie the cat is sprawled luxuriously near by. A new to-do list explodes in my head as I think of all the things that must be accomplished quickly to get our newly qualified Academic Decathlon team to the state meet in a month. My fingers click furiously across keys and screens, tallying expenses and researching lodging.

And then I pause. I find myself staring off into the quiet with a smirk as "Old Man River" winds through my mental jukebox again.

I love these kids. This team. These teens. Friday and Saturday's regional meet was a roller coaster of emotions to say the least. I felt tense, anxious, and nervous. Excited, silly, and chaotic. Exhausted. Frustrated. Over the moon! After certain events, they weren't exceptionally confident in their performance. After certain score releases, we coaches weren't exceptionally confident in their chances. And then, they did it.

The 2017 Hebron High School Academic Decathlon Team pulled off the highest team score in school history! They finished second place in a ferocious region and earned a #11 spot in the state rankings!

Captain Claire doing some last minute coaching.
When they were called to the stage for medals, my co-coach Zuber and I high fived and fist bumped. We screamed and squealed and hollered (ok, that was mostly me). We photographed them and hugged them. And then we turned with anticipation to witness the next set of medals.

The one that got me the most, though, was the individual winners. Four of our nine received recognition for their overall individual performances. One fifth place, two second places, and the final one, the overall gold, the highest scorer at the meet! That's when I couldn't handle it anymore, and the tears flowed. The students always asked me, "Friend, what'll you do if I win _____?" I always tell them I'll cry. Yeah, it's because after a weekend of such extreme emotions it's only logical that I'd lose it. Yeah, it's also because I've turned into my mother in my old age, and I cry more easily and often. And if I'm really, truly being honest, it's because I love these kids, particularly the ones we've raised over the course of their high school careers, and seeing their smiles and dimples and utter success pushes all my emotional buttons.
2017 Hebron High School
Academic Decathlon Team

Lots of folks talk about establishing relationships with our students both in the classroom and on the field. In the Ac Dec world, we start in the classroom with packets and scantrons and timers. Our field is the gym floor of super quiz and the varnished auditorium stage of an awards ceremony. After investing so much time studying things like World War 2 art and literature and economics, we not only establish relationships. We cement them. Teams become families, and they allow us adults to be parts of them. Over time, these families grow in maturity and polish. They induct new members and create lasting memories.

And they each become one of mine.

Region IX Silver Medalists
A decathlete from 2005 Tweeted this 2017 team, wishing them success. She's never met them, but she knows the family of decathletes like her own. A fellow coach asked me about another one of my former decathletes from '02 or '03 who is now her best friend. This coach says she still talks about us and all that we learned and experienced together.

Ac Dec is family.

I'm so deeply proud of our Ac Dec family (and yes, I'm tearing up while typing all over again!). I'm beyond grateful for Zuber and his irreplaceable role in our mom-and-pop/good cop-bad cop coaching scheme. And I cannot wait to see what these kids pull off at the state meet!

Texas Academic Decathlon state meet 2017 - look out! We're coming for you!!


Comments

  1. Go AC Dec! So happy and proud to see this! Hope y'all kick some hiney at State! Some of
    My fondest memories of high school are through decathon and with you Mrs. Friend! Thank you so much for doing what you do and whether we (former students) tell you or not, you've impacted my life for the better just by being you. Thank you thank you.

    Decathlon 02-03 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool family it is. Love what Sana says above. Always know that you make a huge difference and make kids see what they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, it has been too long. #FindSteve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th