Skip to main content

Teacher Talk

In the last few years, I've had the opportunity to talk about teachers from my own educational experience who left their mark on me, and I seem to always goof up my answer. I focus so much on my favorite quirks of each teacher that I miss the sincere and lasting impact part. So, today, on this beautifully rainy Sunday morning, I hope to tell it better.


Ms. Marquart at her final spring concert
In sixth grade, I stepped gingerly into the CC Hardy Junior High band hall and became a band nerd. The gleaming silver flute with one too many keys spoke to me, and I was soon filling my evenings with the squeaks and squawks of a new instrument, as if hoards of people simultaneously pounced onto a flock of birds - and possibly a cat! I suspect my parents may have purchased ear plugs for this portion of my musical journey. But practice I did because Ms. Marquart expected it. And if I was not prepared, I got THE EYEBROW. Yes, you read correctly. THE EYEBROW. It was legendary, yet even the legend didn't do it justice. Ms. M (as we affectionately called her) could control an entire stage of musicians with that eyebrow. Later, as we entered high school and the world of marching band, we could still feel her eyebrow from the top of the stadium if we even flinched on the 50 yard line during a show. In between halftimes and concert performances, Ms. M was jovial and witty, sarcastic and punny. But when it mattered, she was serious, laser focused, and intimidating! And because of her, not only did we band nerds grow to be decent musicians and marchers, we ultimately became decent people. Because she expected us to be. And we never wanted to disappoint her.

I have spent my teaching career working on THE EYEBROW. Not sure I have it to Ms. M status yet, but I'm working on it. 

Later in my educational career, I met Ms. Leland upon entering my freshman geometry class. Her hair frizzed like Hermione Granger's, and she always had chalk dust handprints on the back of her polyester pants. On day one, she said, "I do not like cheerleaders or athletes or drill teamers. I do not like band people or student council people. And I especially DO NOT LIKE FRESHMEN!" By the final words, I had already melted into the floor beneath my desk. I fell into at least three of her categories, and how could she not like me on the first
day? I was never so scared. Her second decree of the day - "You won't make an A on my first test." Oh yeah? Challenge accepted, lady! After verbally disliking me, she threw down the gauntlet, and I was not about to let her get the best of me. So I didn't. I got an A! Take that! Over time, we learned that Ms. Leland, or Stella (her first name - how could we not call her that?), was an incredible teacher! She put homework problems on the board before class started so that we would race to answer the one we were confident in and get those coveted extra points. We were never tardy to her class. Over time, we understood that her first day disliking of groups was because she wanted us in her class, all the time. She keenly understood that learning didn't happen when we weren't there, and so she wanted us to not be out for anything extra and to instead learn geometry daily. And, over time, we saw more and more of her sideways smile beneath frizzy curls and heard more and more of her thick New York accent (Are ya chewin'? <- She hated gum in her room!), and we grew to love her and her unique personality. By the time we were juniors entering pre-cal and we learned that we'd be in Stella's class for another year, my friends and I couldn't wait!

I channel Ms. Leland when I challenge kids to push themselves to be better readers and writers. While I hope not to scare my own students as much, I do hope to motivate them to be excited about English class and to strive to improve.

Finally, Ms. Wood. Another Willis High School legend, Ms. Wood's reputation was attached to the Hamlet test. The one with a million and one direct quotes from the Shakespeare play Hamlet that essentially required students to memorize THE ENTIRE PLAY in order to pass! As juniors this time, my buddies and I entered another class with a healthy bit of fright. But this was English, my favorite subject, and I could do this. Early in the first semester, I recall raising my hand because I just knew I had the correct answer to something Ms. Wood asked. She quickly called on me, and I proudly answered. Then, she looked me straight in the face and said, "So what?" For the second time in my high-achieving high school career, I melted into the floor below my desk. So what? How could she? I was devastated. Ms.
Wood, however, didn't let me off the hook. She explained that her "So what?" question was designed to push me and all of her students further in our thinking. In her class, we weren't there to simply regurgitate the text or something she said; we were to make connections and to analyze and to think deeper. It was hard, especially for someone like me who thought I already knew all the answers. But, boy did she make me work! And boy did I grow as a writer and thinker that year. 

Now, as an English teacher myself, I don't find it valuable if my students can spit out all the quotes from a famous work. But I do want them to think more. I do want them to connect and analyze. And I do say, "So what?" sometimes... and then I tell my memories of Ms. Wood.

I guess we all have these - teacher stories. So many are funny, like Mr. Rider from sixth grade science who used to tell us that there were bugs in his beard (and we believed him!). However, so many teacher stories are also inspiring. And that is the gift of a great teacher - impact and inspiration that last a lifetime. 

I aspire to be that. Thanks to Ms. M, Ms. Leland, and Ms. Wood, I will always aspire to be that. 

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th