Skip to main content

A Year of Hope

Salam, and good morning, worthy friends! Please, please come closer. Welcome (back hopefully) to my blog, place of musings, word plays, and the many bizarre thoughts buzzing around in my brain right here for your reading enjoyment! Come on down! Look at this - a return to the blog after a lengthy summer hiatus. During summer, I wrote, I doodled, I listed - but I never posted. 

Wait, don't go! A new post is finally in tact. This is the famous it's-a-new-school-year-and-I-have-so-much-to-say post. My mind is scrolling the faces I met this week seated around my tables, hoping to still remember their names come Monday morning. I see their smiles, their hesitancy, their questioning eyes. I feel my anxiety, my excitement, and my many many uncertainties. And I remember: as the merchant from the beginning of Aladdin says, "...it is not what is outside but what is inside that counts."

Important backstory break: somehow, this is my twentieth (!!!) year to teach. I have no idea how I arrived at this milestone; I confidently assure you that there is an obnoxious sixteen year old stuck inside my graying body. I have two new preps for the first time in ages. The last time I taught English 2 was 1999 (were you even born, my reader?), and this is my very first journey with Practical Writing. Also, I have the honor and immense responsibility of hosting a student teacher. 

So. Much. To. Say. And. Do.

Where do I begin? Some of my students do not consider themselves readers and have not enjoyed a book since their elementary days. Others eagerly adorned writers' notebooks, ready to explore words and ideas and issues. Still others have taken the test five, six, seven times without success, their eyes reflecting the few remaining embers of a former burning desire and motivation. Another student studies with keen observation and immense knowledge, preparing his plans to educate the future.

 And so, as we embark on another year of learning and growing, I commit myself to hope. The noun kind. The kind my kids' principal talks about here. I have hope that we can grow readers and writers in my classes and across our school. I know we can get those students across the finish line of testing. I am already witnessing the hope of a new teacher ready to change lives.

Thus, here's to a year of reading and writing. Here's to staff blogging and #Inklings and #HAWKSwrite. To #HebronReads and #FriendEng2. To always having fun in the classroom. To sharing and growing and exploring and risking. To learning. To doing.

Here's to hope. 

Comments

  1. Love that you're linking to another blog and celebrating a community of writers. Love that you always ALWAYS hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th