Skip to main content

#StateBound2016

Mrs. Friend, why did you become a teacher?

Mrs. Friend, why do you coach Academic Decathlon?

Mrs. Friend, are you proud of us?

These questions filled my weekend as I chauffeured and cheered, coached and collected nine teen Academic Decathletes. At Lone Star High School in Frisco, we gathered them to prepare for battle. They spoke and interviewed. They wrote and quizzed. They mathed. They tested in art, music, and economics, lit and history and science.

We also laughed and laughed and laughed. My cheeks ache still today.

Through trembling hands and voices, clenched teeth and picked nails, our students persevered. They can't specialize in the subject they love; in Decathlon, they do it all. Thus, they experience the highs of acing their strongest subject and the lows of struggling and stumbling through their weakest. It truly is the drama of the teen life rolled into 48 hours of competition!

They are why I do it.

Each time we hopped into our rental van to shuttle them to their next destination, the one with the spiral curls would quiz me from the back seat. Her innocent voice lilted questions forward, and with each question, I giggled and wondered why she asked. I dutifully answered. From the back, her replies of "awwww" followed. But I don't know that I did her justice on that last question.

You see, these kids are extraordinary. They love to learn. Love it! And, through too many study sessions, they have come to love each other as a family should. I heard one say, "I would have never known her if it weren't for Ac Dec, and now I adore her!" True story. This program attracts some of the most unique, quirky, and driven students and turns them into friends. In our case, it also attracts the most sarcastic and witty ones also! And I like them. They are my ducklings and I their mother duck.

I kinda like my co-coach too. He'll tell you he's only the "assistant coach", but this is far from the truth. He is the grade and calendar man. He is the master strategist. And, fortunately for me, he is phenomenally patient with both the kids and me! A forever-learner just like the team, Zuber "gets" them. Don't get in his way because he wants to WIN. I don't recommend putting a chicken on his head and making him dance to the birthday song when it's not his birthday either... But give him a team of nine and a deadline for gold, and he's off. And nothing - not even a tornado - will stop him!

This year's team has - so far - accomplished ALL that they set out to do. They said they wanted to break 40,000 points, and they did - by almost 2,000! They said they would all score over 6,000 individually, and they did! They promised to finally return to the state meet after a two year drought, and we will! I cannot wait to see what they do there.

So, to answer Amna's question, I am beyond proud of them. I fought tears many times during our weekend, the tears of a teacher and mother who loves her team dearly. I've watched them grow and flourish in ways they didn't even think they could. I screamed louder than I should have each time a medal was draped around their necks. And come the end of February, I will be even louder as they take on the state meet. No matter what they do there, I will be eternally proud of them for their intelligence, determination, and commitment. And for their guts and heart. Especially their heart.

Let's do this, Hebron Ac Dec! #wegotthis #statebound2016

Comments

  1. So very excited for a dynamic team of kids and an unstoppable team of coaches. You are making them strive to new heights. Can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dude. Be nice.

It's in the air like the scent of burnt popcorn from the teacher workroom fogging the halls. It's on our faces like thick blue cupcake icing that will never, never wash off.  What is it, you ask? The spring slide. The end of the year blues. The how-many-more-days-do-we-have weekly question. Yup, it's that time of year. It happens annually. Spring Break concludes, and it takes all of our patience and enthusiasm with it. Students go off for a week and leave any interest and motivation under the blankets where they slept their break away. We teachers leave our efforts to collaborate and abilities to reason in the pages of our reads and on the beaches of our trips. And there is just never. enough. coffee. Ever. That sad and disappointing part of the spring slide/endofyearblues is that it leaves us snarking at each other and our students. Our patience is minuscule and our tempers are pre-lit. And everyone - everyone - we encounter wears a target gleaming, waiting for our

Mom, the Book Queen

Last year about this time, my momma came to my classroom. She was in town for another shindig, and I talked her into being a guest speaker. She was scared. I was excited! She was worried. I was thrilled! In the end, she was incredible! See, my momma taught me to love reading. I have never, NEVER seen anyone devour a book the way Mom does. My childhood is filled with images of her in the navy recliner, nearby lamp lighting the words she inhaled. She read those dense books with thousands of pages. She read those books with the Fabio-looking guy on the cover, his hair blowing in an imaginary wind, a desperate girl draped on his arm. And she read as many books as she could carry home from the library. Go, Rangers! In summers, Mom took my brother and me to the local library once a week typically. At first, I played in the children's section, listening to read-alouds and puppet shows and wandering between shelves. I made piles of books covered with illustrated dragons and puppy

My Emily

One evening a few weeks ago, my almost 8 year old, Emily, was having a night. The scream, pout, tantrum kind of night. Drama was high, and I was doing my best to remain calm and avoid an explosion of anger or a fit of giggles. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to kid fights. I can never predict if I'll react in yelling or laughing. Anyway, this particular incident dealt with toothbrushing. I have come to believe that brushing one's teeth - at least at elementary age - must be akin to chewing shiny metal thumbtacks. Hearing my children protest, one may conclude that I torture them frequently with the help of Crest and Oral-B. This night was no different. Emily was NOT going to brush her teeth no matter what I suggested. Typically, she puts the paste on her brush, clicks two minutes into the timer, and off she goes. But not that night.  Her protests grew, her voice reaching higher and higher octaves as her eyes bulged and her face sizzled. She slammed her bedroom door. She th